This recipe is proof-positive that left over bread can easily be converted to dessert without much work.
2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, more for greasing pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- ½ loaf sweet egg bread like challah or brioche, cut into 2-inch cubes (about 5 to 6 cups)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan over low heat, warm milk, butter, vanilla, sugar and salt. Continue cooking just until butter melts; cool. Meanwhile, butter a 4-to-6-cup baking dish and fill it with cubed bread.
- Add eggs to cooled milk mixture and whisk; pour mixture over bread. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until custard is set but still a little wobbly and edges of bread have browned.
- #FACTS Eggs are rich in choline, which is a weird word but it’s a “good weird” because choline promotes normal cell activity, liver function and the transportation of nutrients throughout the body. Think of it as a commuter train for vitamins and minerals.