YIELD Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer or side dish
ACTIVE TIME 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME 1 1/4 hours
- 2 large yellow onions (about 2 pounds total)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cornstarch
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 cups Anchor Steam beer
- 2 cups sparkling mineral water
- 1 large egg
- 4 to 6 cups vegetable oil (or more depending on vessel), for frying
- deep fry/candy thermometer, 2 heat-safe cooling racks, 2 rimmed baking sheets
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Set two cooling racks over two rimmed baking sheets.
- Cut onions crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices and separate into rings. Reserve small inner rings for another use. Add 1 cup flour to a large bowl. Toss rings in flour and let sit 30 minutes.
- When ready to fry, whisk together remaining 2 cups flour, cornstarch, garlic and onion powder, cayenne, sugar and salt in a large bowl. In another large bowl, whisk together the beer, water, and egg. Gradually whisk the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Heat an inch of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until it registers 350°F on a deep fry/candy thermometer. Working in batches to prevent crowding, dredge the onion rings in the batter and immediately drop into the oil. Cook onion rings, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes total. Transfer cooked rings to the cooling racks set over the baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt and keep warm in oven while frying remaining batches.